“There is no happiness in having or in getting, but only in giving.”
Members and Friends of the church are offered to opportunity to make an annual financial pledge. Typically 90% funds Operational Expenses and 10% is allocated for Charitable Outreach. Donors may elect to alter these percentages based upon their preference.
- A Gift to the First Congregational Church
Giving financially to the ministry of The First Congregational Church United Church of Christ is one way we give thanks to God and return a portion of the abundance that God has given to us.
- Facilities Renovation & Design Fund (FReD)
God has called us to welcome and nurture all with Christ’s love. Our Facilities Renovation and Design team has helped the congregation discern very carefully how God is calling us to renovate our church buildings to support the ministry of future generations and transform the world with Christ’s love.
- Philippines Mission Fund
The Philippines Mission supports children and families that live in extreme poverty in the Philippines. The Philippines Mission raises funding for scholarships, which provide much needed educational opportunities for children who have been orphaned. Financial aid has also been provided in the past for victims of natural disasters, helping displaced families to build new homes and communities to dig wells.
- Amanda Osterby Fund
Amanda Osterby was a beloved young woman in our congregation. Her courageous battle with cancer inspired our Christian community and upon her passing, this Amanda Osterby Fund was established to support the needs of critically ill children in our church and community.
- Book of Remembrance
Financial gifts given to the Book of Remembrance allow a loved one to be remembered at the time of their passing. Their name is written in the Book of Remembrance, and funds given are used to purchase lasting gifts that support the entire First Congregational Church community. Past Book of Remembrance gifts have purchased a new sound system for the Sanctuary and worship, created handicap accessible bathrooms, and provided the Crib Nursery ministry with fire evacuation cribs.
- In Honor Of
- Birthdays, wedding anniversaries, and the anniversaries of a loved ones passing are special moments to remember. Throughout the year, there are four opportunities to honor or remember loved ones.
- Christmas Flowers: Poinsettias are given during the Advent and Christmas seasons to honor or remember loved ones. The poinsettias are used to decorate the Sanctuary for worship and are given to our homebound members. Please contact the church office for more information.
- Easter Flowers: Easter lilies and other spring flowers are given for Easter Sunday to honor or remember loved ones. The flowers are then delivered to homebound members. Please contact the church office for more information.
- Flowers for Sunday morning worship: Throughout the year, flowers are given to the glory of God and in honor or remembrance of loved ones. Please contact the church office for more information.
- Tower Lightings: For $5, you may also choose to “light” the FCC bell tower on a specific date in honor of a special occasion.
- First Fruits Garden
The First Fruits Garden is a garden ministry of the First Congregational Church United Church of Christ. Every year, volunteers plant, nurture, water, and grow fresh vegetables that are donated to our local soup kitchens and food pantries. Financial, time, and talent gifts are always much appreciated.
- Gifts to the Wider United Church of Christ
The First Congregational Church is blessed to belong to the wider United Church of Christ. Together, united, we are able to minister to more people than alone. Our many shared ministries include Disaster Relief, Local Church Ministries, Wider Church Ministries, and Justice and Witness Ministries. There are four annual special offerings that support the ministries of the United Church of Christ. Please click here for more information.
- Samuel Newell Society & The Endowment Fund
Samuel Newell was the first pastor of The First Congregational Church. This fund was created to honor and acknowledge all who have contributed or promised to contribute in the future the minimum sum of $1,000 to the Endowment Fund.
Throughout the generations, generous members and friends of The First Congregational Church UCC have given money for the perpetual support of the ministry and facilities of The First Congregational Church UCC. Their faithfulness continues to allow us to welcome, nurture, and transform the world with Christ’s love. Please consider your gift that will bless future generations of God’s people.
- Capital Improvement Fund
There are many ways to support the ministry of The First Congregational Church UCC. For those who wish to provide support to maintain and renovate the church’s facilities, you are invited to give a gift to the Capital Improvement Fund. In the past, this fund has been used to improve handicap accessibility, paint, update fire code measures, repair roofs, and maintain the property of The First Congregational Church UCC. FCC’s historic buildings are a source of pride for the entire city of Bristol, and their proper maintenance allows Christ’s ministry to flourish in this community and beyond.
Time and Talent
God Blesses us with many talents and abilities. In addition to financial giving, we are called to give of ourselves in ways that benefit our church, our community and our world.
Here at the First Congregational Church, our members and friends give back in a variety of ways. We have skilled musicians, teachers, painters, quilters, scientists, gardeners, bakers and even a blacksmith! These are just a few of the gifts that we celebrate.
For more information about how you can get involved, please click here.